ACREE PROJECT LINEAGES
Eighty-one participants in the Acree Surname DNA Project, identified alphanumerically here, have been tested. Their results may be viewed on our Project's webpages at the Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) testing firm (for those who have tested or transferred their results there) and here (for all participants). Their paternal lines, excluding ancestors born after 1900, follow.
Fifty-three participants represent the (two-thirds) majority within our project, with matching test results ("haplotypes") that include a rare fractional allele ("microallele") and few differences. Nearly all of them descend from William Acree (c1710-c1767) of Hanover Co., Virginia, so they are collectively called the "Virginia Acrees" within our project for convenience. They are grouped below by four of his five sons - John, Abraham, William and Joshua. Two of those grouped with Abraham have the surname Williamson but are known to descend from a specific 19th-century Acree adoptee. A participant with the surname Myers is grouped with William because DNA evidence indicates that he descends from a particular grandson of William. Six participants having the surnames Brown, Collier, Peel and Wells, descend from unknown patrilineal ancestors of William who, DNA evidence suggests, lived a couple hundred years before him in the UK.
Nine of our participants, representing a prominent minority within our project, share a different haplotype. Three descend from another William Acree (1752-1833), whose deduced father was William Akers (1726-1765) of Frederick Co., Maryland. The other six are surnamed Cox, Gibson, Hardage and Phillips. Their ancestral relationship to William's descendants is undetermined. Within our project, this combined minority group is collectively called the "Maryland Acrees" for convenience.
Four of our participants have the Akers surname. Two live in the US, two in the UK. The two US participants match each other genetically, thereby providing the ancestral haplotype for their progenitor, William Akers (c1650-1715), who was born in England and emigrated to Hunterdon Co., New Jersey, in the late 17th century. It differs significantly from the haplotype of the Virginia Acrees, as well as that of the Maryland Acrees. The haplotype of a participant living in the US with the surname Oldaker fortunately matches that of these "New Jersey Akers," while the haplotypes of our two Akers participants living in the UK are unique. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Akers surname had multiple origins in the UK.
One participant has the historic Dacre surname, from which Acree, Akers and other variants, in some cases, may have evolved long ago in England. Unfortunately, his haplotype, too, is unique.
Four participants appear to descend genealogically from Jacob Acra (c1710-1772) of Middlesex Co., Virginia - progenitor of the "Virginia Acras". The first two have matching test results, thereby establishing Jacob's ancestral haplotype. The latter two, for unknown reasons, have differing haplotypes.
The lineages of our other nine participants, with differing test results, follow, with the exception of Acree051, whose lineage is unknown.
LINEAGES FROM JOHN ACREE, SR. OF BERTIE CO., NORTH CAROLINA
|Acree060 & Acree075|
|PATERNAL LINE||Jack Allen Acree||Abner Acree||William Thomas Acree||Abner Acree||Edward Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||c1897 in KY||c1854 in KY||1825 in NC||1785 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Bertha P.||Lucy Perkins||Mary Jane Simpson||Matilda Ann Toon||Sarah||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||Frank M. Acree, Jr.||Frank M. Acree, Sr.||Nathan C. Acree, Sr.||Edward C. Acree||John R. Acree||Edward Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1897 in TN||1857 in TN||1831 in TN||1808 in TN||1780 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Edna R. McDonald||Louise J. Byrd||Sarah Jane Marberry||Mary Lydia Ross||Mary S. Brown||Sarah||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||Frederick F. Acree||Nathan C. Acree, Jr.||Nathan C. Acree, Sr.||Edward C. Acree||John R. Acree||Edward Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1892 in AR||1864 in TN||1831 in TN||1808 in TN||1780 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Della M. Hefner||Martha Willis||Sarah Jane Marberry||Mary Lydia Ross||Mary S. Brown||Sarah||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||Lytton Glynn Acree||Nathan C. Acree, Sr.||Edward C. Acree||John R. Acree||Edward Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1866 in TN||1831 in TN||1808 in TN||1780 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Katie Mae Ford||Sarah Jane Marberry||Mary Lydia Ross||Mary S. Brown||Sarah||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||Cecil W. Acree||Amos A. Acree||Nathan C. Acree, Sr.||Edward C. Acree||John R. Acree||Edward Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1895 in TN||1869 in TN||1831 in TN||1808 in TN||1780 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Irlene Fentress||Eugenia Byrd ||Sarah Jane Marberry||Mary Lydia Ross||Mary S. Brown||Sarah||Patience|
|Acree001, Acree025, Acree053 & Acree054|
|PATERNAL LINE||James Walter Acree||James Hardy Acree||Joab Cotton Acree||John Acree, Jr.||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1874 in TN||1832 in TN||1799 in NC||c1762 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Wilhelmina Caroline Sachse||Nancy Peyton Waugh||Sophia Campbell Marshall||Penelope Hayes||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||William John Acree||William A. Acree||John Harrell Acree||John Skinner Acree||William Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1870 in NC||1839 in NC||c1817 in NC||c1795 in NC||c1765 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary Agnes Vaughn||Mary Lewis Cox||Emily Harrell||Charlotte Harrell||Phereby Skinner||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||George McDonald Acree||Nathaniel Benjamin Acree||Nathaniel Burgess Acree||Henly Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1894 in MO||1853 in TN||1811 in NC||1768 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Annie Lee Hawkins||Mary Susan Cathaline Stone||Mary Matilda Rowlett||Mary Ives||Patience|
|Acree044 & Acree055|
|PATERNAL LINE||Thomas Lee Acree||George Henley Acree||Nathaniel Burgess Acree||Henly Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1882 in MO||1844 in TN||1811 in NC||c1768 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Delia Mae Terry||Almira Elizabeth Brower||Elizabeth Louisa Hamilton||Mary Ives||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||William Harrison Acree||George Henley Acree||Nathaniel Burgess Acree||Henly Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1889 in MO||1844 in TN||1811 in NC||c1768 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary E. Wood||Almira Elizabeth Brower||Elizabeth Louisa Hamilton||Mary Ives||Patience|
|PATERNAL LINE||George Wesley Acree||George Henley Acree||Nathaniel Burgess Acree||Henly Acree||John Acree, Sr.|
|BORN||1879 in MO||1844 in TN||1811 in NC||1768 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Cora Mae James||Mary Almira Brower||Elizabeth Louisa Hamilton||Mary Ives||Patience|
LINEAGES FROM ABRAHAM ACREE OF CAROLINE CO., VIRGINIA
|PATERNAL LINE||George Washington Acree||John Acree||Uriah Acree||John Acree||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1892 in TN||1841 in TN||1800 in VA||1760 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Arling Ross Monroe||Mary ("Lockey") A. Shumaker||Catherine||Lucy Schools||Ann|
|PATERNAL LINE||Ambrose Buford Acree||Ambrose Acree||Ambrose Acree (probably) *||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1856 in VA||1788 in VA||c1755 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Carrie Elizabeth Samuel||Hannah Buford Clarke||?||Ann|
* Note: The lineage of Acree018 lacks documentation beyond the Ambrose who was born in 1788.
|PATERNAL LINE||Frederick H. Acree||George W. Acree||William Henry Acree, Sr||Joshua Acree||Ambrose Acree||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1880 in VA||1853 in VA||c1819 in VA||c1785 in VA||c1765 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary Louise Edwards||Martha Ann Jordan||Sarah Virginia Harwood||Elizabeth Frances Spencer||?||Ann|
|PATERNAL LINE||William Edward Acree||William St. Clair Acree||Thomas Leonard Acree||William Henry Acree, Sr||Joshua Acree||Ambrose Acree||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1895 in VA||1872 in VA||1848 in VA||c1819 in VA||c1785 in VA||c1765 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Gracie Elizabeth Gentry||Marguerite Belle Williams||Laura Virginia Fuqua||Sarah Virginia Harwood||Elizabeth Frances Spencer||?||Ann|
|PATERNAL LINE||Edward Fitzhugh Acree||George Washington Acree||Matthew Yarrow Acree||John Acree||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1877 in IA||1843 in TN||1796 in VA||1760 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Anna E. Simmons||Frances Louisa Rowley||Charlotte George||Lucy Schools||Ann|
|PATERNAL LINE||Robert Monroe Acree||James Elisha Acree||William Melvin Acree||Lewis Acree||James Acree||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1889 in AR||1850 in TN||1824 in TN||c1804 in SC||c1755 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Beda Buford||Susan M. Boston||Sarah Ann Snider||Rhoda Wigginton||Catherine||Ann|
|Williamson019 & Williamson024|
|PATERNAL LINE||Hubert Murry Williamson||John William Williamson||Elbert K. Williamson *||John W. Acree (probably)||James Acree||Abraham Acree|
|BORN||1881 in MO||1855 in MO||1828 in TN||c1800 in SC||c1755 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary Louella Mae Morgan||Susan Marie McClanahan||Chana Campbell||Polly Kinnon||Catherine||Ann|
* Note: Elbert was adopted in eastern Tennessee by John Williamson, who also brought a Cherokee Indian girl into his family. In their DNA tests, two of Elbert's descendants (Williamson019 and Williamson024) matched the ancestral haplotype of Abraham and his brothers. Based upon geographical circumstances and census records, it has been determined that Elbert was most likely fathered by Abraham's grandson John.
LINEAGES FROM WILLIAM ACREE OF WILKES CO., GEORGIA
|PATERNAL LINE||Robert Franklin Acree||Albin Abner Acree||Starling Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1873 in GA||1826 in GA||c1784 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Luther Cordelia Strain||Martha Ann Lacey||Mary Elizabeth Wilson||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||Marvin Albin Acree, Sr.||Pleasant Albin Acree||Albin Abner Acree||Starling Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1885 in GA||1858 in GA||1826 in GA||c1784 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Webbie Penelope Hudgins||Celesta Octavia Shown||Martha Ann Lacey||Mary Elizabeth Wilson||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||John Wesley Acree||William Acree||Allen Acree||Wylie Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1875 in GA||1826 in GA||c1800 in GA||1781 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Katie Ann Sewell||Mary Martin||Drucia Whitfield||Anna Morris||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||Robert Walter Acree||James Clayton Acree||James L. Acree||Allen Acree||Wylie Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1894 in GA||1862 in GA||1830 in GA||c1800 in GA||1781 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary Sadie Isbell||Frances Kesler||Martha Martin||Drucia Whitfield||Anna Morris||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||Robert Frederick Acrey||William Floyd Acrey||Wylie Allen Acree||Allen Acree||Wylie Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1897 in TX||1862 in GA||1834 in GA||c1800 in GA||1781 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Pearl Ricks||Basha Fortner||Sarah Jane Brown||Drucia Whitfield||Anna Morris||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||James Wiley Acree||Wiley Wood Acree||Wylie Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1861 in GA||1827 in GA||1781 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Margaret Virginia Barnett||Mary Elizabeth Blanchard||Anna Morris||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|Acree015 & Acree050|
|PATERNAL LINE||James Blanchard Acree||Wiley Wood Acree||Wylie Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1873 in GA||1827 in GA||1781 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Sarah Belle Guthrie||Mary Elizabeth Blanchard||Anna Morris||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||Odos Edgar Acrey||Cosby Acrey||Abner Acree||Wylie Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1876 in TX||c1829 in GA||c1802 in GA||1781 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Lula G. Moran||Lottie Richardson||Patsy Jackson||Anna Morris||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
|PATERNAL LINE||Herbert Eli Acree||Robert E. Lee Acree *||John E. Acree||Nathaniel Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1895 in TX||c1865 in AL||c1824 in GA||1786 in GA||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Lillian J. Binyon||Louella Turman||Mary E. Polk||Elizabeth Ann O'Neal||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
* Note: The lineage of Acree027 lacks documentation beyond Robert E. Lee Acree. Robert was orphaned as a young boy in the aftermath of the Civil War and appears to have been raised within his sister's family, who moved from Alabama to Texas in the 1870s. Their father was almost certainly John E. Acree, of established lineage, who died in the late 1860s.
|PATERNAL LINE||Albert Roy Acree||William Thomas Acree *||John E. Acree||Nathaniel Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1887 in AR||1853 in AL||c1824 in GA||1786 in GA||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Florence E. Allen||Louisa Coppock||Mary E. Polk||Elizabeth Ann O'Neal||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
* Note: The lineage of Acree031 lacks documentation beyond William Thomas Acree. William was probably the brother of Robert E. Lee Acree (the ancestor of Acree027 above) and was orphaned with him in the late 1860s, so that he, too, was raised within their sister's family, who moved from Alabama to Texas in the early 1870s. William is reputed to have settled in Arkansas in 1871.
|Acree032 & Acree056|
|PATERNAL LINE||Luke "Floyd" Acree||William Thomas Acree *||John E. Acree||Nathaniel Acree||John Acree||William Acree|
|BORN||1885 in AR||1853 in AL||c1824 in GA||1786 in GA||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Lula May Garrett||Louisa Coppock||Mary E. Polk||Elizabeth Ann O'Neal||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
* Note: The lineages of Acree032 and Acree056 lack documentation beyond William Thomas Acree. William was probably the brother of Robert E. Lee Acree (the ancestor of Acree027 above) and was orphaned with him in the late 1860s, so that he, too, was raised within their sister's family, who moved from Alabama to Texas in the early 1870s. William is reputed to have settled in Arkansas in 1871.
|PATERNAL LINE||Littleton Marvin, Jr.||Littleton Marvin, Sr. *|
|BORN||c1880 in AL||c1840 in GA or AL|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Ida L.||Dorcas|
* Note: The lineage of Myers073 beyond Littleton Marvin Sr. is unknown. DNA evidence indicates that he descended from William Acree of Wilkes Co., Georgia, through his son John and grandson Nathaniel.
|PATERNAL LINE||George Okey Acree||John D. Acree||Adam C. Acree||Lewis Acree||John Acree (probably)*||William Acree|
|BORN||1893 in WV||1866 in WV||c1842 in WV||1783 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Bessie Bell White||Mary Virginia Reedy||Mahala Hammond||"Polly" Cleek||Elizabeth||Agnes Shearin|
* Note: The lineage of Acree065 lacks documentation beyond Lewis Acree and is based on circumstantial evidence.
|PATERNAL LINE||Everette Ervin Acree||Peter C. Acree||John Hammack *||Lewis Acree||John Acree (probably)||William Acree|
|BORN||1876 in WV||1851 in WV||c1827 in WV||1783 in NC||c1760 in NC||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Lydia L. Canterbury||Margaret J. Reynolds||Frances L. Acree||"Polly" Cleek||Elizabeth Acree||Agnes Shearin|
* Note: Unlike the other participants grouped under this heading, Acree020's genetic profile is significantly different from that of the "Virginia Acrees," a profile that his close cousin Acree039 (above) shares. He therefore could not have descended from Lewis Acree, as Acree039 did, through a strictly patrilineal line. Revealingly, his profile instead matches the profiles of two men with the surname Hammack. That physical evidence, combined with Peter C. Acree's marriage record and census data, indicate that Peter's father must have been John Hammack, the first husband of Peter's mother, Frances, a daughter of Lewis Acree who re-married after John died in the 1850s. It appears that when Peter himself married in 1871 he began using both his mother's surname and the middle initial of his mother's brother, Peter C. Acree, who had been living with him in his mother's and step-father's household, thereby becoming his uncle's namesake. As with Acree039, Acree020's lineage lacks documentation beyond Lewis Acree.
|PATERNAL LINE||Henry Acree *|
|BORN||1867 in AL|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Susan E. Pate|
* Note: The lineage of Acree021 beyond Henry is unknown. He most likely descended from William Acree of Wilkes Co., Georgia.
|PATERNAL LINE||William Stephen Acree||John B. Acree||Samuel Acree *|
|BORN||1879 in FL||1846 in FL||c1827 in GA or AL|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary Jane Bachman||Rebecca Ann Jenkins||Sarah Martha Williams|
* Note: The lineage of Acree068 beyond Samuel is unknown. His father is alleged to have also had the name Samuel. He most likely descended from William Acree of Wilkes Co., Georgia.
|PATERNAL LINE||Edwin Bruce Acree||William MacDaniel Acree||Samuel Acree *|
|BORN||1889 in FL||1852 in FL||c1827 in GA or AL|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Emily Alma McCarthy||Nancy Elizabeth Garrett||Sarah Martha Williams|
* Note: The above paragraph regarding Samuel applies.
|PATERNAL LINE||John Thomas Acree||William MacDaniel Acree||Samuel Acree *|
|BORN||1879 in FL||1852 in FL||c1827 in GA or AL|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mabel Tyler||Nancy Elizabeth Garrett||Sarah Martha Williams|
* Note: The above paragraph regarding Samuel applies.
LINEAGE FROM JOSHUA ACREE OF HANOVER CO., VIRGINIA
|PATERNAL LINE||George W. Acree||Junius C. Acree||Nathaniel K. Acree||John Acree, Sr. (probably) * ||Joshua Acree|
|BORN||1868 in KY||1844 in KY ||c1808 in VA ||c1758 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Nannie Bell Estes||Isabella Landis ||Frances J. Ridge||Elizabeth Meredith||Rebecca Wade|
* Note: The lineage of Acree041 lacks documentation beyond Nathaniel. Geographical proximity in the census indicates that Nathaniel's father was John Acree, Sr., a son of Joshua who migrated with his family from Virginia to Kentucky.
|PATERNAL LINE||Harvey Akrie||William Wirt Acree||William B. Acree||John Acree, Jr. (probably) *||John Acree, Sr.||Joshua Acree|
|BORN||c1888 in GA||c1866 in GA||c1822 in KY||c1797 in VA||c1758 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Adella Holloway||(fnu) Goolsby||Mary S. Plummer||?||Elizabeth Meredith||Rebecca Wade|
* Note: The lineage of Akrie017 lacks documentation beyond William B. Acree. Based on geographical circumstances, Y-DNA SNP testing, and comparative Y-DNA STR profiles ("haplotypes") within the project, which exhibit slight but distinctive mutational differences, it is believed that William B. descended from Joshua Acree in the manner shown.
|PATERNAL LINE||Burton Marshall Acree, Sr.||William Wirt Acree||William B. Acree||John Acree, Jr. (probably) *||John Acree, Sr.||Joshua Acree|
|BORN||1894 in GA||c1866 in GA||c1822 in KY||c1797 in VA||c1758 in VA||c1735 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Nancy Clyde Griffin||Minnie Lee Tidwell||Mary S. Plummer||?||Elizabeth Meredith||Rebecca Wade|
* Note: The lineage of Acree033 lacks documentation beyond William B. Acree. His earlier lineage is based on the same genealogical and genetic evidence that applies to Akrie017 (above), whose half-cousin relationship to him has been further confirmed through autosomal DNA testing.
LINEAGES OF OTHER PARTICIPANTS WHO MATCH THE "VIRGINIA ACREE" HAPLOTYPE
|Brown037 & Brown069|
|PATERNAL LINE||George Brinton McClellan Brown||Daniel Brown *|
|BORN||1864 in IA||1819 in PA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Edith A. Trombla||Mary Ann Wilson|
* Note: The lineage of Brown037 and Brown069 beyond Daniel Brown is unknown. Daniel Brown and William Acree (c1710-c1767) probably descend from a common patrilineal ancestor who, DNA evidence indicates, was born in the 16th century.
|PATERNAL LINE||Kenneth V. Peel||John Peel||John Peel *|
|BORN||1883 in WA||1845 in northwest England||c1813 in northwest England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Clara Amanda Melbye||Ellen Elizabeth Lawson||Sarah Tighe|
* Note: The lineage of Peel045 beyond John Peel is unknown. John Peel and William Acree (c1710-c1767) probably descend from a common patrilineal ancestor who, DNA evidence indicates, was born in the 16th century.
|PATERNAL LINE||Horatio Collier||William Watts Collier||William Watts Collier||William George Collier *|
|BORN||1857 in Victoria Australia||1820 in Wales UK||c1793 in Gloucestershire UK||c1765 in Staffordshire UK|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Maud Eliza Bedson||Harriett Ann Abbott||Ann Phillips||Susanna Watts Perkins|
* Note: The lineage of Collier047 beyond William George Collier is unknown. William G. Collier and William Acree (c1710-c1767) probably descend from a common patrilineal ancestor who, DNA evidence indicates, was born in the 16th century.
|PATERNAL LINE||Albert Collier||Samuel Collier||John Collier||Francis Collier||James Collier||James Collier||Enos Collier||Robert Collier||Ralph Coller||Ralph Collier||Richard Collyer *|
|BORN||c1880 in Victoria, Australia||1842 in Victoria, Australia||1814 in Lancashire, England||1791 in Lancashire, England||1763 in Lancashire, England||1735 in Lancashire, England||c1693 in Lancashire, England||1656 in Lancashire, England||1626 in Lancashire, England||c1600 in Lancashire, England||c1570 in Lancashire, England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Nellie Johnstone||Emma Britnell||Ann Shofield||Mary Wardle||Ann Walton||Mary Fletcher||Mary Knowls||Mary Birstall||?||Elizabeth Litchin||?|
* Note: Richard Collyer and William Acree (c1710-c1767) probably descend from a common patrilineal ancestor who, DNA evidence indicates, was born in the 16th century.
|PATERNAL LINE||James Wells *|
|BORN||1894 in GA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Minnie Western|
* Note: The lineage of Wells072 beyond James Wells is unknown. James Wells and William Acree (c1710-c1767) probably descend from a common patrilineal ancestor who, DNA evidence indicates, was born in the 16th century.
LINEAGES FROM WILLIAM ACREE OF FREDERICK CO., MARYLAND
|PATERNAL LINE||Tyler Alexander Acree||William T. Acree||Green B. Acree||William Acree, Jr.||William Acree||William Akers *|
|BORN||1884 in KY||1841 in KY||c1816 in KY||1780 in NC||1752 in MD||c1726 in MD|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Ina Bledsoe||Catherine J. Barger||Nancy Carter||Candis||Phoebe||?|
* Note: On the basis of an Akers Y-DNA match (using test results external to this project) and circumstantial evidence (including residential and migratory coincidence), it has been deduced that the father of William Acree, progenitor of the "Maryland Acrees," was William Akers (1726-1765).
|PATERNAL LINE||Thomas Luther Acrea||Ephrene Greenbury Acrea||Denton L. Acree||William Acree, Jr.||William Acree||William Akers *|
|BORN||1879 in TX||1854 in KY||1815 in KY||1780 in NC||1752 in MD||1726 in MD|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Ida Ann Haynes||Ruth Jane Moyer||Permelia||Candis||Phoebe||?|
* Note: The above paragraph regarding William Akers applies.
|PATERNAL LINE||Thomas Harrison Acree||Jared Acree||John Wesley Acree||Ephraim Acree||William Acree||William Akers *|
|BORN||1886 in IL||1852 in IL||1825 in AL||1784 in NC||1752 in MD||1726 in MD|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mabel Lee||Sarah Delilah Church||Lydia Brady||Mary Jane Wann||Phoebe||?|
* Note: The above paragraph regarding William Akers applies.
|Hardage034 & Hardage079|
|PATERNAL LINE||Charles Montgomery ("Pat) Hardage *|
|BORN||c1900 in TX|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mary Edna Ellen Hooten|
* Note: The DNA test results of these participants match those of the "Maryland Acrees." They thus share their paternal lineage at some juncture. Charles (above), whose parents are unknown, is understood to have been adopted as an infant from an orphanage in Ft. Worth, Texas, by his Hardage family, who raised him in the Creek area of Indian Territory/Oklahoma. There is strong DNA/genealogical evidence that the father of Charles had the surname Akridge and descended from an Akridge family who lived in Washington Co., Maryland, adjacent to Frederick Co., in the mid-1700s.
|Cox063 & Cox080|
|PATERNAL LINE||William Cox||James Nathan Cox||Henry Cox||Nathan Cox||Henry Cox *|
|BORN||1871 in TN||1850 in TN ||1827 in TN||1800 in NC||1756 in PA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Mollie Brown||Virginia Garner||Mary Sweeney||Sarah Wheeler||?|
* Note: Cox063's and Cox080's DNA test results match those of the "Maryland Acrees." They thus share paternal lineage at some point in the early modern era.
|PATERNAL LINE||Andrew B. Phillips *|
|BORN||1855 in TN|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Anna Feld|
* Note: Phillips064's DNA test results match those of the "Maryland Acrees." He thus shares their paternal lineage at some point in the early modern era.
|PATERNAL LINE||Charles S. Gibson||Abraham Shufflebottom||Charles Shufflebottom||Thomas Shufflebottom||James Shufflebottom||John Shufflebottom *|
|BORN||1854 in Northumberland, England||1848 in Staffordshire, England||1807 in Cumberland, England||1785 in Staffordshire, England||1756 in England||c1714 in England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Alice M. Guthrie||Elizabeth Fairney||Phoebe||Elizabeth Gibson||Milcah Wilcox||Jane Pygott|
* Note: Gibson067's DNA test results match those of the "Maryland Acrees." He thus shares their paternal lineage at some point in the early modern era.
|PATERNAL LINE||Herbert Akers||Jesse R. Akers||Jesse Akers||Uriah Akers||Abiah Akers||Robert Akers||Simon Akers, Sr.||William Akers|
|BORN||1873 in PA||1844 in PA||1800 in PA||1762 in PA||1742 in PA||1703 in NJ||c1668 in NJ||c1650 in England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Nellie Robinson||Clara Ascom||Rachel Hixson||Jane Truax||Lucinda||Sarah Hart||Sarah Furman||Sarah Jane|
|PATERNAL LINE||Fred Akers||Garrett Akers||William Akers||Beda Akers||Benjamin Akers||Thomas Akers||Simon Akers, Jr.||Simon Akers, Sr.||William Akers|
|BORN||1879 in IA||1855in IA||1821 in KY||1798 in KY||1766 in VA||c1733 in PA||c1695 in NJ||c1668 in NJ||c1650 in England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Floy Jones||Laura Holmes||Sarah Ader||Lydia Collins||Catherine Malone||Mary||Mary Smith||Sarah Furman||Sarah Jane|
|PATERNAL LINE||Isaac Oldaker||Martin G.W. Oldaker||Martin G. Oldaker||Isaac Oldaker, Jr.||Isaac Oldaker, Sr.||Henry Oldaker|
|BORN||1874 in IA||1846 in OH||1821 in OH||1798 in VA||1754 in VA||c1708 in NJ|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Inez Westerfield||Mary Ann Smith||Carolyn Johnson||Catherine Little||Lucretia Pugh||Elinore Borden|
* Note: Oldaker081's DNA test results match those of the two "New Jersey Akers" above, but his lineage beyond Henry is indefinite. It is likely that Henry was a grandson of William Akers (born c1650 in England).
|PATERNAL LINE||Frederick Arthur Akers||Frederick Akers||Thomas Akers||John Akers|
|BORN||1885 in Oxfordshire, England||1863 in Buckinghamshire, England||c1825 in Oxfordshire, England||c1795 in Oxfordshire, England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Beatrice Lydia Dyer||Mary Huson||Charlotte Cotterell||?|
|PATERNAL LINE||John Willism Akers||Edward Akers||John Akers||William Akers|
|BORN||1848 in Wiltshire, England||1823 in Berkshire, England||c1785 in England||c1752 in England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Jane Rachel Orchard Hayes||Sophia Wakefield||Ann||Susannah|
|PATERNAL LINE||George Washington Dacre||Edward Dacre*|
|BORN||1893 in NJ||1858 in Lancashire, England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Wilhelmina Staiskal||Anna Mary Jones|
* Note: George's circumstantial connection to Edward is indefinite. Edward's lineage traces back to Jacob Dacre, who was born c1600 in northern England.
LINEAGES FROM JACOB ACRA OF MIDDLESEX CO., VIRGINIA
|PATERNAL LINE||Vernon Darrell Acree, Sr.||Leroy Beauregard Acree||Allen Washington Acree||Jacob Acra *||John Acra||Thomas Acra||Jacob Acra|
|BORN||1894 in VA||1861 in VA||c1825 in VA||c1800 in VA||c1773 in VA||1750 in VA||c1710 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Marguerite Elizabeth Penny||Vernella Breeden||Lucy Rebecca Davis||Isabella||?||Mary||Ann|
* Note: As an adult, Allen spelled his surname Acree rather than Acra, as his father had spelled it. The lineage of Acree029 lacks documentation beyond the later Jacob, having been derived mainly from Middlesex Co. parish records and Gloucester Co. census & tax lists.
|PATERNAL LINE||John H. Acra, Sr.||Charles E. Acra||John E. Acra||John B. Acra||James Acra||Thomas Acra||Jacob Acra *|
|BORN||1891 in KY||1858 in KY||1832 in KY||c1809 in VA||c1777 in VA||1750 in VA||c1710 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Frances Dolores Kuhn||Virginia Ellen Howard||Ann Elizabeth Snyder||Permelia Graves||?||Mary||Ann|
* Note: The lineage of Acra070 is based on the same sources that support Acree029's Virginia lineage. The DNA test results of Acree029 and Acra070 match conclusively, thereby establishing the ancestral haplotype of Jacob Acra.
|PATERNAL LINE||Melvin Franklin Acra||William Jackson Acra||Jacob Acra *||Thomas Acra||Jacob Acra|
|BORN||1855 in VA||c1827 in VA||c1796 in VA||1750 in VA||c1710 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Eva Bruce Pratt||Julia C. Booker||Ann J.||Mary||Ann|
* Note: The lineage of Acra036 lacks documentation beyond the later Jacob and is based on the same sources that support Acree029's and Acra070's Virginia lineages.
|PATERNAL LINE||Freeman D. Acra||John T. Acra||Thomas J. Acra *||James Acra||Thomas Acra||Jacob Acra|
|BORN||1892 in IN||1860 in IN||c1806 in VA||c1777 in VA||1750 in VA||c1710 in VA|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Gladys G. Parsons||Martha B. Thomas||Winnie||?||Mary||Ann|
* Note: The lineage of Acra040 lacks documentation beyond the later Thomas. The link to James and beyond is based on the same sources mentioned above. The DNA test results of Acra036 and Acra040 differ substantially from the matching results of Acree029 and Acra070, indicating that their genetic lineages do not in fact extend to Jacob of Middlesex Co.
LINEAGES FROM JASPER NEWTON ACREE OF METCALFE CO., KENTUCKY
|PATERNAL LINE||Sherman Acree||James Elliot Acree||Jasper Newton Acree*|
|BORN||1895 in KY||1865 in KY||1839 in TN|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Flora Romines||Nancy Mariah Coomer||Mary Haley Cravens|
|PATERNAL LINE||Luther Morris Acree||Jasper Newton Acree*|
|BORN||1876 in KY||1839 in TN|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Katherine Pearl Poynter||Mary Haley Cravens|
* Note: Jasper Newton Acree (1839-1911), a celebrated Union soldier and ancestor of many Acrees, was an orphan whose father is unknown. Circumstantial evidence indicates that his mother was Rhoda Wigginton, who married Lewis Acree in Rhea Co., Tennessee, in 1825 and had children with him. Lewis was probably a descendent of Abraham Acree of Caroline Co., Virginia (above), through Abraham's son James, who migrated to that area of Tennessee. Lewis died before the 1840 census and Rhoda died soon afterward, leaving her young children to be raised by foster families. In his Civil War pension application and in a published newspaper article describing his wartime recollections, Jasper related that his father (whoever he understood him to be) died before he was born, that his mother died when he was four years old, and that his half-brother was killed during the war. The identical Y-DNA profiles of the above two descendents match haplotypes of living men having the surnames Lawson and Jenkins, whose patrilineal ancestors resided in southeastern Tennessee. Several men with those surnames appear in the 1840 census of the Bledsoe/Hamilton Co. area, where Jasper was apparently born. His father was probably one of them.
|PATERNAL LINE||Charles Ewen Acree||One of his two mature sons||William Reader (probably) *|
|BORN||1869 in AL||1842-45 in AL||c1819 in NC|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Martha A. Beasley||Rebecca P. Wheeler||Elizabeth Helms|
* Note: Rebecca's husband, Wooten O'Neal Acree, who descended from William Acree of Wilkes Co., Georgia, died in 1864 of illness while serving in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Widowed Rebecca is not known to have remarried, but she gave birth to two additional children in the late 1860s, including Charles. Acree005's test results closely match those of a man whose patrilineal ancestor was William Reader, a neighbor of Rebecca who died in 1866. It is a reasonable deduction that one of his two mature sons - Nathan or Allen, who lived nearby, was the father of Charles.
|PATERNAL LINE||Charles Henry Acres||Henry Acres|
|BORN||1891 in London, England||1854 in London, England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Doris Hall||Helena Bartlett|
|PATERNAL LINE||George Ackers||Henry Ackers||Peter Ackers||Peter Ackers||John Ackers|
|BORN||1866 in Lancashire, England||1839 in Lancashire, England||1800 in Lancashire, England||c1765 in Lancashire, England||1734 in Lancashire, England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Sarah Foster||Harriet Pilkington||Ellen Clare||Elizabeth Twist||Elizabeth Rigby|
|PATERNAL LINE||Antonio Martins||Isias Martins||Manoel Varela, Jr.||Manoel Varela, Sr.||Tomas Varela|
|BORN||c1880 in Ceara, Brazil||c1840 in Ceara, Brazil||c1800 in Ceara, Brazil||1751 in Ceara, Brazil||c1720 in Portugal|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Antonia da Cruz||Maria de Jesus||Rita de Lima||Luisa Landim||Mariana Calado|
|PATERNAL LINE||William James Shepherd|
|BORN||1890 in England|
|BIRTH MOTHERS||Hughina McPhee|
If you are an Acree seeking confirmation or extension of your paternal line, please consider participation in the:
Copyright © 2006- by Charles Acree. All rights reserved.
Click on the above link to connect or return to the explanatory project page.
Please direct questions to the E-MAILaddress there.